List:       opensolaris-smf-discuss
Subject:    Re: [smf-discuss] [pkg-discuss] Code review for	6271923
From:       Tony Nguyen <Truong.Q.Nguyen () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2009-06-16 0:01:13

Darren Reed wrote:
> Tony Nguyen wrote:
>> Nicolas Williams wrote:

>>> I think the checkinstall fix is correct: if the manifest doesn't exist
>>> -> the pkg hadn't been installed before.  Oh, maybe not!  Since LU does
>>> pkgrm them pkgadd.  I see the point.  What needs to be checked is
>>> whether the service exists, and that's... not something that can be
>>> done
>>> in checkinstall.
>>>

>> Or the admin decides to run DHCP server outside of SMF, dhcp-server
>> service is deleted and its manifest is removed from the
>> system(similar to pre-S10 case). In this case, we really want to
>> find  out whether dhcp server was enabled. Is this even possible?
>> dhcpsvc.conf(4) suggests  DAEMON_ENABLED though I'm not positive
>> that's the right option.
>>
>> I maybe splitting hair here as Darren's logic is good for most use
>> cases.
>
> It's as good as it can be.
>
> I'm pretty sure that LU solves this some other way, otherwise LU would
> be in a position to cause a lot of damage.
>
> Darren
Another look at 6378850 made me realize we need to also modify bfu,
though it should simply be removal of the relevant code since we don't
support bfu from a non-SMF release. This brings up another point, the
proposed changes in packaging code will not be applicable to OpenSolaris
and not too useful unless we plan backport it. The alternative is to
also simply remove all this enabling logic from SUNWdhcr's install scripts.

cheers,
-tony