List:       opensolaris-smf-discuss
Subject:    Re: [smf-discuss] [networking-discuss] Code review request -Solaris
From:       Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-11-04 18:26:17

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 06:56:24PM +0100, Roland Mainz wrote:
> > E.g., grep(1) can be approximated with:
> >
> > shgrep () {
>
> Right...
> ... for the log: ksh93 has builing "grep" functionality using the
> ~(G)pattern stuff, e.g.

We're aware :)

> > While I really like ksh93, I do think that *requiring* these scripts to
> > *all* be written in ksh93 is too much.
>
> They don't need to be written _all_ in ksh93 but I would prefer that the
> more complex scripts use ksh93 since these are usually affecting the
> startup time and ksh93 will usually result in a very large performance
> boost for such scripts (see Moinak's comments about "configure" scripts,
> some of the scripts which need 2mins with the original Bourne shell run
> with less than 10 seconds with ksh93).

These are not autoconf configure scripts we're talking about.

I think a KSH93 version of smf_include.sh that uses more built-ins would
be great, but then we'd have to manage code duplication until the day
arrives that we feel fine mandating KSH93 for SMF method scripts.  I
wouldn't mind that code duplication, but others might.

Nico