List:       opensolaris-smf-discuss
Subject:    Re: [smf-discuss] removing service on upgrade
From:       David Bustos <David.Bustos () sun ! com>
Date:       2006-11-16 19:18:19

Quoth John Levon on Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 04:53:18PM +0000:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 07:19:31AM -0800, David Bustos wrote:
> > It's ickier.  We don't want to commit the repository format, so if
> > you're upgrading, we can't guarantee that the current svccfg
> > & svc.configd will work with the target repository.db.  It's necessary
> > in the cases where we need to make changes to the repository before
> > /var/svc/profile/upgrade is executed, though.
>
> I'm confused. If it's necessary to do so in such circumstances, doesn't that
> imply that the repo format must be committed?

It implies that we can't actually change it without fixing the software
which uses it.  All such software should either be in ON or should have
signed ARC contracts with us.

> (And did the GLD services really run before manifest-import?)

I believe so.  Liane also notes that those GLD services haven't been
released (they were added and removed after Solaris 10), so we should be
able to remove that code sometime in Nevada.

> Presumably I need to rework the eeprom removal to use this contracted interface
> then.

Yes, assuming we don't fix the underlying problem first.

David