List:       opensolaris-smf-discuss
Subject:    [smf-discuss] RE: Service dependency
From:       rolnif () mac ! com (John Martinez)
Date:       2005-09-16 8:42:31

On Sep 16, 2005, at 1:10 AM, j.van.nieuwenhoven@accenture.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Talking about the principle of least surprise, has somebody mentionned
> the surprise of Solaris students without too much SMF knowledge who
> learn about NFS?
> When they "#svcadm enable nfs/server" before having touched the dfstab
> file and that they see in the log or "#svcs -x" output that the server
> has been disabled by an adminstrator...
>
> Behaviour is not different from previous Solaris releases, right,
> everything is explained when you read the start script, also right but
> still SMF could use its wondeful logging capabilities to provide more
> info.

I've been going into /var/svc/log and reading the log files in there.
For example, you could read network-nfs-server:default.log to get
what you want (nfs/server doesn't give you much).

If that still doesn't give you what you want, I go read the "new"
startup scripts in /lib/svc/method. The issue is with these scripts.
They don't give you much output. If they did, /var/svc/log would be
that much more useful.

I guess you can go play around with these scripts, create your own
error messages and see how well it works in error conditions like the
one you explain.

-john