List:       opensolaris-security-discuss
Subject:    Re: System D-Bus in TX environment
From:       Christoph Schuba <Christoph.Schuba () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-09-17 15:12:28

Darren,

one more use case for DBUS in a TX environment:

Glenn, Gary, and I discussed the other day how the audio device
allocation could behave if you have say multiple potential audio
consumers in different labeled zones.

Imagine two VBox-based OSes in different zones. Both have a virtual
audio device that VBox provides, however, at most one VBox has access
to the real device at any given time, based on how the device is
allocated via the device allocator. At VBox startup time, VBox sees
what's underneath it (or what isn't) correctly, however, if the real
device underneath is taken away from one VBox (say V1) and given to
another (say V2), the following happens. V1's audio stops working, as
expected, however, V2's audio does not start working, because V2 does
not rescan/get notified of the change in devices underneath it.
A per zone D-Bus access could be the answer here. The global zone
(on behalf of the device allocator) would put the appropriate
"new audio device" or "audio device disappeared: message
on the D-Bus in the associated labaled zone, and VBox would get
the notification by reading those messages.

-Christoph