List:       opensolaris-security-discuss
Subject:    Re: [security-discuss] requirement for identifying a console user
From:       Lin Ma <Lin.Ma () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2007-08-18 7:21:33

I guess you aim to eliminate the "console user" concept, however it's
also a good way to applications, then maybe we can remove
logindevperm(4) or at least upgrade it to auth/priviledge mode. But I'm
curious of a very low priviledge user's feeling when he is refused to
plug in his USB disk or he can't use it :-)

If remove the "console user", so we have to identify the different
profiles due to the different users, e.g. laptop user profile. But
currently there's only "Basic Solaris User" in Solaris. If we define a
laptop user profile which has the auth/priviledge which allow the user
poweroff/connect network, then the default profile (when adding a user
w/o specify any profiles) "Basic Solaris User" will not be allowed to
use network or poweroff. So what the user can do is to "su root/role"?

To come up with other OS we need Solaris install (Caiman?) to detect the
install scenario like laptop/desktop/server, etc and create non-root
accounts. Does Caiman support install scenario?

--
x82120 / +86 10 82618200