List:       opensolaris-rfe
Subject:    Re: [osol-rfe] Drivers for ATI  vs. nVidia
From:       John Brewer <jabrewer () rochester ! rr ! com>
Date:       2007-07-29 9:45:48

> True.
>
> ATI's has drivers only for Windows OS.
>
> Nvidia is the way to go with Unixes, Solaris and Linux and such.

Solarois 10u3 used the nv driver and OpenSolaris swtcihed snv_b65 from the nv to the  \
nVidia I am not sure of all the reasons why maybe nVidia provides more feature \
enablement then what nv driver was Opensource?

One issue nVidia implimentation is the pixels are not cleared as the cursor moved \
with the backspace or left arrow on the  Mozilla or Firefox typing in a HTML form, So \
the pixels of the cursor are not solid and have shifted and on the left arrow \
characters that the cursor pass through pixels are left and are not cleared, this \
does not happen in star office or Openoffice, it seems to be font related

Two, the other is the syncing of the x-y boundaries when the X-server starts up on \
both dtlogin and gnome has 1/2 cm of black unused space at the bottom or 2 cm on the \
right when using a wide screen LCD, it is reproducible when dual booting from XP back \
to Solaris, XP also seems to have this issue as well, but Vista does not and syncs \
correctly every time what ever the gnome-resolution screen resolution preferences \
tool, in my case I cam make use of most of 1680x1050,  1440x900, 1280x1024, 1152x864  \
, 832x634, 800x600, 540x480, but the resyncing veyries on the right side of the \
screen when I change resolutions, I have a Asus N2NPV-VM MB w. 64meg enabled nVidia \
GeForce 6100.