List:       opensolaris-rfe
Subject:    [osol-rfe] WineLib on OpenSolaris
From:       ash.banerjee () gmail ! com (Ashish Banerjee)
Date:       2006-05-03 12:02:54

We recently ported a Windows application using WineLib, [http://www.winehq.org]. \
WineLib is a windows API layer over POSIX.  As our experience goes, WineLib does not \
make an application any slower, sometimes it is faster than Windows on the same \
hardware!  It took us 6 person months of efforts to port 62,000 lines of C/C++ code, \
verus 183 person months computed for rewrite, estimated  using Baisc COCOMO model \
metrics. The trouble with WineLib on Solaris is that the verson that comes with \
Solaris 10 CD is 2004 vintage and the latest WineLib does not compile out of the box; \
Having said that, Sun Engineers are working to make the latest WineLib to work on \
Solaris 10 . Based on my personal experience, I strongly recommend that OpenSolaris \
should support WineLib, this will help many ISV to port their application to Solaris \
using WineLib with minimal efforts. There is a misconception that Wine only allows \
Windows executable to run on Unix OS. while this is true, it only a part of the BIG \
picture. Wine is built upon WineLib, which is capable of running ELF executables \
created by compiling the Windows application from its source code. Thus Windows \
application, when compiled using WineLib on Solaris can run on SPARC machine as a \
Unix native executable (ELF).