List:       opensolaris-printing-discuss
Subject:    Re: [printing-discuss] presto: life after CUPS?
From:       Norm Jacobs <naj () snapcon ! com>
Date:       2009-12-22 8:27:25

Eldee Stephens wrote:
> ghee, et al,
>
> with the fast approaching switch-over to CUPS as the default printing system in \
> opensolaris, what is presto's future?  one of the delights of working with \
> opensolaris -- at least in desktop usage -- has been the zero-effort configuration \
> of nearby network printers.  when going from place to place, within seconds, i have \
> new printers all configured for my use.  and the integration with lp is wonderful.  \
> it never fails to impress folks familiar with linux or windows environments.  "you \
> mean, your development system can do that, too?!"
> system-config-printer is nice and all, but it doesn't compare with the presto print \
> manager as far as usability is concerned.  not to mention my auto-magically \
> self-configuring printers will go away.
USB attached printers will still auto-configure, but the network
attached printers won't with CUPS/system-config-printer/hal-cups-utils.
It could be made to do the same for network attached printers.
Actually, all of the pieces are there.  It's just a matter of picking
the right pieces and applying the right glue.  You should probably file
a bug.
> please tell me there is a future for presto after the Great Switchover coming in \
> SNV130!  will presto be extended to use CUPS, or will we have to 'print-service -s \
> lp' after opensolaris 2010.03 comes out? ;)
You'll have to
    # pkg install SUNWps SUNWfoomatic-rip SUNW...
    # print-service -s lp
to get back to LP with the attendant filter and printer support (When
I'm juggling a few less balls, I will send a list of the packages that
are needed if someone else hasn't by then.).

    -Norm