List:       opensolaris-printing-discuss
Subject:    Re: [printing-discuss] Re: Printing Experience Revisited - StarOffice
From:       Paul Cunningham <paulcun () talk21 ! com>
Date:       2006-08-17 7:02:56

Paul Cunningham wrote:
> Lars Tunkrans wrote:
>>   You input was useful to describe the flow  of data through  the
>> spooler.
>>
>>   Staroffice   has a  helper utiltiy  /opt/staroffice8/program/spadmin
>>  in which you can import  manufacturers PPD files into a staroffice
>> repository  of PPD's   These will then not  be the same as the ones in
>> the foomatic  system.
>

> It is possible to use the same PPD file for the print q and the
> staroffice printer, and it seems to work fine for me. This is briefly
> what I did ....
>
>   Configure a Solaris foomatic print queue using ...
>
>     /usr/sbin/printmgr &
>
>   Configure StarOffice/OpenOffice to use that print q, and its ppd
>   driver, using ...
>
>     /usr/staroffice7/spadmin &
>
>       new printer ->
>         add a printer ->
>           import 'driver' (ppd file) ->
>             browse to /etc/lp/ppd then press 'select'
>               - this should show ppd files for all print queues
>                 configured using 'printmgr' #
>               - select the ppd driver for the printer added in printmgr
>               complete setup.
>

> Note:
> # - selecting the correct ppd (driver) could be difficult if you have
> more that one print q configured in /etc/lp/ppd with the same printer
> type, as they are displayed by 'printer type name' which is got from the
> ppd file's '*ModelName:' entry. I had to do a quick edit on the required
> print q's ppd file to make it easy to see which was the correct one.
>
> # you could also browse to /usr/lib/lp/model/ppd and find a suitable ppd
> driver there, but that may not have the same settings as the actual
> print q's ppd.

I had a few more thoughts on this ....

1. the above would not work, of course, if the print q is configured on
a remote print-server as the ppd file for the print-q would not be in
/etc/lp/ppd. In this case staroffice would have to be configured with
the ppd file from the /usr/lib/lp/model/ppd repository (if they were
installed) or with the ppd file copied from the print-server.

2. To me it really seems that StarOffice should know automatically about
any printers, on the system, it could use (like it does on MS Windows)
and allow the user to select them (Think that calls for an RFE on
StarOffice if someone at Sun feels like raising one). It could probably
only do that though if staroffice is running on the print-server. Also
if CUPS (in /opt/sfw/cups) is running on the system StarOffice is, it
should pick up those printers also.

Paul