List:       opensolaris-powerpc-discuss
Subject:    [powerpc-discuss] Re: blastewage.org ???
From:       jamesd.wi () gmail ! com (James Dickens)
Date:       2006-01-31 16:11:10

On 1/31/06, Dennis Clarke <blastwave@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/31/06, Tom Riddle <tom.riddle@sun.com> wrote:
> > Well heck how about a port of Solaris to MicroChip :)
>
> geez .. let's port it to my mood ring ..
>
> Sun's confusing array of processors ?  Geez .. thats funny.
>
> Dennis

Well considering that Sun's marketing is either confused or out to
confuse the world, this is understandable...

Sun's Model numbers...

ultra 10  a poor excuse of usparc hardware in a PC format

ultra 20 an opteron based workstation that is nice

ultra 30 an  usparc workstation, okay, but slower than the u20 and 10
years older

ultra 40 an opteron  based workstation really nice and fast

( now if you are thinking okay okay  odd  first digits are usparc and
and even first digit are opteron, sun  now does this)

ultra 45  usparc workstation brand new

then of course we run into history...

ultra 60  usparc workstation

ultra 80 usparc workstation

okay explain the pattern.. anyone? i don't have a clue except to perpetuate

"Sun's confusing array of processors"

now should we discuss  blade workstations, and  blade servers to
completely different things

then we have  galaxy servers known as   X4100 and X4200  formually
used  X(numbers) as an order number for sun hardware.

I think Sun's marketing deserves every comment they recieve like
"Sun's confusing array of processors"  at least they didn't muddy the
water any more with the ultraT1  ... T1000 and T2000.

James Dickens
uadmin.blogspot.com