List:       opensolaris-opengrok-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opengrok] Some code files appear as binary downloads
From:       Lubos Kosco <Lubos.Kosco () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2010-04-28 6:11:05

On 27.4.2010 21:42, Jim R. Wilson wrote:
> Hi grok devs,

Hi  jimbojw

> I'm running opengrok 0.7 on Windows Server 2008 atop Glassfish.  My

0.9 RC1 can be downloaded from
http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+opengrok/files
it has some fixes for windows environments, but
mainly it has support for unicode, which might be your problem, so you
should try to reproduce your problem in 0.9 RC1 first

> problem is that some JavaScript files are not being treated as such.
> They show up in the search by name/path only, with no content search
> available.  Navigating to the files through /xref, they appear as
> downloadable binary files, not as code.
>
> Can anyone elaborate on how grok decides whether a file is binary?

according to first couple of bytes it decides whether it's a binary or
not - but as said with unicode files this is slightly more complicated
and 0.9 at least has the xref support for such files (but they will not
be in index, yet), I am quite sure 0.7 just ignores such files

> Shouldn't the *.js extension be enough for OG to know that it's a
> source code file?

from my test:
Added: /opengrok/web/xx,js (PlainAnalyzer)

hence no one from the analyzers is aware about .js, PlainAnalyzer is
used, it might make sense to make an analyzer for javascript ...

hmm?
Lubos