List:       opensolaris-opengrok-discuss
Subject:    Re: [opengrok] Getting results in structured format
From:       Chandan <Chandan () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2009-09-21 18:31:47

Dave Purrington wrote:

> Is there a way for me to get search results in structured format? Documentation \
> seems scant (or at least, I can't find it). The features page says OpenGrok \
> supports RSS but search results don't provide an RSS link. Open search is ok too, \
> although my path through that is less clear, just because the format is more \
> obscure.

The rendered HTML output is actually structured XML[1].
If you examine the source of a results page, you may recognize
that it is structured.

For examples, results are contained within a

A result file is contained within a

Line numbers for matched lines are in

It may not be difficult to write a XSLT transformation that can be
programmatically used to retrieve just the needed information
 - a neat alternative to webscrapping.

[1] Note that the results page does not pass validation when tested
with http://validator.w3.org/ - these are bugs.

Thanks,
-Chandan