List:       opensolaris-nfs-discuss
Subject:    Re: [nfs-discuss] root ownership
From:       Spencer Shepler <Spencer.Shepler () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-02-13 15:38:06

On Feb 13, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Gerard Hooton wrote:

> Hello all,
> My System is:
>
> SunOS uefilesrv 5.11 NexentaOS_20080131 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris
>
> File System:
>
>   pool: backup
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         backup      ONLINE       0     0     0
>           c2d0s0    ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
>   pool: syspool
>  state: ONLINE
>  scrub: none requested
> config:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         syspool     ONLINE       0     0     0
>           c1d0s0    ONLINE       0     0     0
>

> ======
>
> /etc/dfs/dfstab:
>

> share -F nfs -o rw,root="ueserver.ue.ucc.ie" /export/home
> share -F nfs -o rw,root="ueserver.ue.ucc.ie" /course_work
>

> ====
>
> I am using NIS and this machine is the NFS file server for all the
> home
> dirs.  The Home dirs are mounted using autofs
>

> Problem:
> =========
> A normal user can login to any machine on the network and everything
> works. However if root on ueserver creates a file in the /export/home
> dir the file it produces is like this:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 nfs other 0 Feb  7 16:03 MyCrap.txt
>
> In other words the files created by root on the NFS mount are not own
> by root. However normal users do not have this problem.
>
> I have come across discussions about root squash and I
> though the rw,root= in the dfstab would deal with that

Mmm, I would have expected to see user "nobody" listed if root
at the server was not being mapped correctly but that could be
how user/user-id mapping is configured in your environment.
An "ls -ln" would help next time.

In any case, it could be that the client's request is not mapping
exactly to the name 'ueserver.ue.ucc.ie'.  You can confirm
that the IP address to hostname mapping is done as you expect
on the server to see if that is the problem.  Something like
"nslookup <ip-addr>" for each of the IP addresses of the client
making the NFS requests.

Spencer