List:       opensolaris-nfs-discuss
Subject:    [nfs-discuss] re: FreeBSD client
From:       rick () snowhite ! cis ! uoguelph ! ca (rick () snowhite ! cis ! uoguelph ! ca)
Date:       2006-03-22 8:05:33

The FreeBSD client won't do much of anything useful. Last time I tried it,
it wouldn't even pass the cthon general tests. It is code that CITI worked
on for a while and stopped around 2 years ago. Chuck Lever has recently
picked up the ball (cel@citi.umich.edu), but I don't think he has gotten
to the stage of significant patches for NFSv4 yet.

I have a client that works in OpenBSD, but it is entirely different code.
(Whether or not it readdir loops in snapshots, I have no idea.:-)

I have FreeBSD server code, but it hasn't been incorporated into FreeBSD
yet.

If you do want to try and use it, I'd recommend starting out by running
the cthon test suite and seeing if they've fixed enough to get that to
work, yet. (It used to get confused as soon as there were multiple processes
with files open, such as the "Four simultaneous large compiles" test.)
It also used to run the kernel out of resources and cause a crash, not too
long after you start testing.