List:       opensolaris-networking-discuss
Subject:    Re: [networking-discuss] Connecting to cisco vpn
From:       Mike Gerdts <mgerdts () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-24 14:02:21

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 5:18 AM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure whether this classes as a networking or security question, so
> feel free to redirect me.
>
> I need to connect to a cisco vpn (the $DAYJOB), and I need to use a
> personal certificate. I'm sure I've heard of people doing this, but can't
> find anything useful at the moment (beyond suggesting vastly better
> ways of achieving the same end that won't fly due to corporate politics).
>
> I think the page below might have helped, but it seems to be no longer
> available.
>
> http://wikis.sun.com/display/chosug/Accessing+a+Cisco+VPN+with+OpenSolaris

Here's some breadcrumbs that may get you going in the right direction.
 Sorry I don't have the details.

I've been able to connect using password authentication with
OpenConnect.  I can't say I know much about using it with
certificates.  It requires that you add the tun driver if you are
running a recent enough release that it has been removed.  I don't
have/remember the exact instructions, but I did have success with
snv_151 and snv_151a in early November.

At $DAYJOB-- I was able to connect to an older cisco VPN using vpnc
(from OpenVPN, I believe) on OpenSUSE.  I expect that it would be
pretty much the same process on Solaris, assuming you have vpnc
installed.  There was a conversion process I needed to do to extract
the shared secret that was put onto my Windows box.  This was done
with a tool that came with the package that delivered vpnc.

HTH,
Mike

--
Mike Gerdts