List:       opensolaris-networking-discuss
Subject:    [networking-discuss] in.mpathd and Faked routes to populate " poll
From:       Lars Tunkrans <lars.tunkrans () bredband ! net>
Date:       2009-12-18 6:19:14

I am configuring Mpathd  for IPMP functionality on top of CMT Logical domains.

  I have three VLAN's out of a dozen  Logical domain servers
  The default gateway is on one of the VLAN's
  On the other two vlans Mpathd  does select ip adreeses of standard hosts
  as ICMP poll adresses. ( this can be observed by running truss on in.mpathd)
  After looking in the source for Mpathd it seems possible that faked routes
  could be used in the local routing table to point in.Mpathd to the router
  address for each of the two VLAN's , so that Mpathd would be sending ICMP
  polls's  to the more stable Router instead of selecting other hosts on the
  network.

  Its a real stablity problem when an arbitrary server is rebooted and a couple of
  interfaces on a couple of logical domains goes into failed mode, when mpathd
  decides errouneously that the network has failed.

  So I am going to try to set up routes to imaginary subnets to
  populate the localrouting table with stable polladresses.

   What could go wrong if I do this ?
   Why isnt there an other method for telling Mpathd what polladdresses to use ?

  Regards
    //Lars