List:       opensolaris-networking-discuss
Subject:    [networking-discuss] saga continues [was: Re: strange issue with
From:       michael schuster <Michael.Schuster () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-12-11 12:26:26

Alan Steinberg wrote:
> Hi Michael.
>
> I have experienced this too. The screensaver gets locked and just
> doesn't come back to give you an unlock prompt. I worked around it by
> logging in remotely to the system running the VNC server, and then
> killing the xscreensaver that was running. The more permanent solution
> would probably be to disable the screensaver in the first place after
> logging into the VNC session.

I followed Alan's advice and disabled automatic screen locking in the VNC
session. When I returned this morning, all worked well ... now, after a
lunch break, I wanted to open a new window in this VNC session, and got an
error:

> XlibL No protocol specified
>
> Error: Can't open display: :1.0

this happens for any X-based application, AFAICT. looking at ps's output, I
can't find a process that started today (MET), so maybe this would have
happened this morning too if I'd tried.

any ideas?
thx
Michael