List:       opensolaris-networking-discuss
Subject:    Re: [networking-discuss] WPAD via DHCP
From:       James Carlson <james.d.carlson () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-09-25 13:55:34

Dmitry Degrave writes:
> I'm looking for a way to get DHCP-approachable info under Solaris. I made a \
> research and had no luck.
> I'm trying to find out:
>
> - a way to discover an ip address of DHCP server (I would prefer a solution that \
> can use a "native" way of doing this, like sending broadcast request with null \
> source ip, not by scanning the whole local network by nmap...)
> - a way to acquire information from DHCP service without applying it to Solaris's \
> configuration. Literally, I'm interested in WPAD info that may be stored in option \
> 252 of DHCP data.
> I'm looking for a solution in circumstances where no interface is configured by \
> DHCP thus no dhcpagent started and no dhcpagent's table exists.

If you don't want DHCP to acquire an address for an interface, but you
still want to get DHCP-related parameters, you can run this:

	# ifconfig <interface> dhcp inform

Then use /sbin/dhcpinfo to retrieve the variables (perhaps using
/etc/dhcp/eventhook to know *when* to do so).  For WPAD, that'd be:

	# /sbin/dhcpinfo -i <interface> WPAD

... after setting the system up to understand WPAD:

	# echo "WPAD SITE, 252, ASCII, 1, 0, sdmi" >> /etc/dhcp/inittab

Granted, that's not quite what you're asking for.  I understand the
desire to send a "simple" DHCP query and get a response without
getting into using a stateful daemon, but we don't have a feature
exactly like that.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson@sun.com>