List:       opensolaris-mktg
Subject:    [osol-mktg] French/European Open Solaris User Groups
From:       jim.grisanzio () sun ! com (Jim Grisanzio)
Date:       2005-08-29 0:12:46

Hello, Laurent. [forwarding to ug-discuss...]

If you are forming a user group in France, we'd love to give you guys a
page on opensolaris.org within the User Group Community:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/os_user_groups/
I can make you an editor on the main user group community and then open
a page specifically for your group so you can edit it on your own.

If you need a way to communicate with the people in you user group, we
can give your group an opensolaris.org mail list so you can organize
meetings and talk and such. I'll need to have a name from you. Check the
format on the other user groups at the community link above. Keep in
mind, Europe is gigantic, and even France is large. Can you narrow it
down a bit to a city or region? Over time there could easily be a dozen
or more user groups in Europe.

Sign up to the ug-discuss mail list, so you can communicate with the
other people who have formed user groups and linked them to
opensolaris.org.

If you are meeting up with Sun marketing in France, that's great. Have
them get involved as well and get them to sing up to opensolaris.org so
they can edit your user group page as well.

To answer some of your questions below:

 > Here are a few general questions I have:
 >   - what kind of help can Sun bring? Topics, swag, speeches?

I'll let OpenSolaris marketing chime in on this. I don't have any swag,
but they do. Perhaps they can work with the Sun marketing people in
France to drum up some items for you. I'd encourage you to just keep it
simple: t-shirts and mugs go a long way.

As far as topics ... all of Solaris is up for grabs. Some people talk
about the features in Solaris 10, some talk about how to build
OpenSolaris, etc. Check out the other user groups at the link below. The
  Silicon Valley group actually has some videos from previous meetings.

Check with Sun France to see if they have any speakers who could kick
you guys off.

 >   - how many people are typically expected to attend?

It depends. Some groups start out with 10 and grow from there. Here in
Silicon Valley Alan gets about 30-50 each month.

 >   - how frequent can those meetings be?

Generally monthly but it's completely up to you.

 >   - how far should they reach geographically?

It depends. Some people drive 50 miles; others want it closer. User
groups tend to be local things, which is their strength.

 >   - what kind of people should attend (technical, commercial)?

A mix is good -- everything from general Solaris users to highly
technical people.

 >   - anything else?

Make sure you have food, beer, pizza, and a camera. Take lots of
pictures and blog them. :)

How's that for a start?

Jim
---
Jim Grisanzio, Community Manager, OpenSolaris
http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris/