List:       opensolaris-mdb-discuss
Subject:    Re: [mdb-discuss] Delivering mdb modules for user space software
From:       Mike Shapiro <mws () sun ! com>
Date:       2009-12-06 21:29:33

On Dec 6, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> In the X gate we've got a couple mdb dcmd modules for walking data
> structures
> in the X server.   Right now the only way to get them is by building
> the tree
> for the version of the X server you need information from, which can
> be a pain.
>
> Is there a recommended practice for delivering mdb modules with the
> system that
> apply only to specific programs?   I see some in /usr/lib/mdb/proc
> that appear
> to be like this - svc.configd.so, etc - is that documented anywhere
> that I could
> read about?

Modules are organized in the filesystem by target (proc, kvm, and so
forth).  If you wish your module to automatically load, then yes,
install it into the proc subdirectory of usr/lib/mdb named after the
program or library that it debugs and it will load automatically.

You can also of course create a program-private directory, but then
the module will not load unless the user of mdb modifies their module
load path to reflect whereever you installed it.

-Mike

---
Mike Shapiro, Sun Microsystems Open Storage / Fishworks. blogs.sun.com/mws/