List:       opensolaris-lvm-discuss
Subject:    Re: [lvm-discuss] SVM boot  on Opensolaris
From:       Sanjay Nadkarni <Sanjay.Nadkarni () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2009-08-17 22:24:01

On 08/17/09 03:52 PM, Alex T wrote:
> Hello,
> will never be possible to fall back to UFS/SVM boot on OpenSolaris?
> Why ZFS would be the only option?
In order to solve some of the hard customer issues, such as patching and
upgrade, deep integration was with Solaris technologies was required.
ZFS was chosen for this since it provides persistent snapshots,
cloning.   Hence ZFS will be the only option.
> At the moment i'd never put a Solaris server vith zfsboot in
> production in an enterprise environment cause of bad experiences.
I would like to hear about your bad experiences, since we have been
running ZFS for over 5 years and in production for at least  2.   Our
outbound servers (such as pkg.opensolaris.org) are serving data based
off of ZFS file systems.  There are business out there running on ZFS.
Nexenta for example is selling a file system appliance that is based on
ZFS.  (So is Sun!).

 Admittedly  during the early days there were  issues , but I have not
had seen anything major in a while.    There has also been significant
performance and functionality improvements over the last few years.
ZIL (Zfs intent logs) allows one to more effectively use SSDs.  So if
you have not tried it recently, I would urge you to so and get
comfortable with it.

If you have tried it recently  and have run into serious issues because
of bugs in ZFS let us know.
> I'm sure other people thinks like me.
> I'm really confortable with UFS/QFS/SVM and really new/skeptical at
> ZFS and his reliability.
I would strongly argue that ZFS's data reliability is more better today
than UFS/SVM ever was.  I should note that I was a major contributor for
SVM and I can provide you with real life examples when ZFS has uncovered
bad drives when other LVM/FSes have not.  That includes non-Solaris
examples.
> No doubt ZFS will be the future, but now, SVM/VXVM and UFS/QFS
> filesystems are for me a more realistic choice for critical systems.

-Sanjay