List:       opensolaris-lvm-discuss
Subject:    [lvm-discuss] MPXIO on a V880
From:       prasadjlv () yahoo ! com (prasad jlv)
Date:       2006-02-24 20:07:58

Hmm, I thought SVM mirrors perfomed  reads in a round-robin way too and If I am \
mirroring across  controllers, am I achieving the same? or is my assumption about \
SVM's  read policy incorrect?
  -- prasad

Sanjay Nadkarni <Sanjay.Nadkarni@sun.com> wrote:
One of the advantages of mpxio is that it load balance requests across
the controllers. Let's assume 12 read requests occurs.  Since you have a
mirror, they will be round-robin'ed. 6 per submirror.  Now if the
controller on the submirror is busy processing some other I/O, then the
read requests will be queued.  If you have mpxio, that I/O could
potentially be dispatched from the other controller.

Of course it's obvious that your load has to be fairly high for this
situation to pay off.

-Sanjay