List:       opensolaris-lvm-discuss
Subject:    [lvm-discuss] Multi-volume tiered storage
From:       sspyrison () gmail ! com (Scott Spyrison)
Date:       2005-12-01 6:42:07

Hello,

I would like to know if Solaris Volume Manager (or ZFS for that matter)
has support or plans to support tiered disk storage.  I am aware this
support exists in Veritas through Storage Foundation, and their
implementation is through both VxFS and VxVM.  The file system contains
the policies for different categories or tiers, but you create that file
system across an object constructed of multiple volumes.

i.e. it presents the opportunity to add a SATA volume and a F/C volume
yet create a veritas file system across both volumes as if they were a
single entity.  Then, the policy constructed in the file system will
move data to different storage classes (SATA or F/C in my
over-simplification) based on specified criteria.

I did some reading on SAM/FS, and I still wonder if a scaled down
"multi-volume" type support is present or planned in SVM.

Thanks!
Scott Spyrison