List:       opensolaris-laptop-discuss
Subject:    [laptop-discuss] Improving Compiz performance?
From:       Joanmarie Diggs <joanmarie.diggs () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-30 4:15:24

Hi all.

One of the computers on which I use OpenSolaris is a Toshiba Satellite
U205 (Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics
Controller). Admittedly, my (organic) memory is notoriously faulty, but
I swear that on this particular box the Compiz performance was
considerably better under Linux. Not a complaint, mind you: I can
certainly live a full and meaningful life without bouncing windows and
rotating cubes. ;-)

Anyhoo... Until today this box had only 1GB RAM. It now has 4GB and is
remarkably more performant and a joy on which to run OpenSolaris. So I
thought I'd revisit the use of Compiz. My subjective impression is that
an improvement in performance exists, but is negligible.

So, were you a betting man/woman, which would you place your money on?

1. Faulty organic memory (i.e. it wasn't good under Linux either)
2. Something unique to OpenSolaris
3. Something related to Compiz
4. Something related to Xorg
5. Something else

And, yes, I've googled some already. But given that this is an area I'm
largely unfamiliar with, I'd be most grateful for a nudge towards the
right/relevant docs and/or fix, should one exist.

Thanks much in advance! Take care.
--joanie