List:       opensolaris-laptop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [laptop-discuss] Seeking for ZFS partitioning advice
From:       "Tony Reeves" <tonyr60 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-17 0:59:13

2008/12/17 Antonio <antonio@antonioshome.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> In linux systems I used to have different partitions to hold different sets of data \
> (/software, /home, etc.). That way I could reinstall the base system (or even have \
> different linux versions) while keeping software and data apart.
> I've just installed OpenSolaris on a *single* partition (a \
> "linux-fdisk-partition"). I'm liking OpenSolaris very much so I've decided to give \
> it a serious run.
> Questions that arise:
>
> 1.- Can I "zpool create" inside a "logical-partition" in a \
> "dos-extended-partition"?
> My current partition table is depicted at the end, I want to "zpool create tank \
> /dev/dsk/c3d0p10"

Try it and see.  Supposedly you have no data there you want to keep.
There is a current bug that prevents installing (Open)Solaris to a
logical partition but unsure if you can zfs such a partition.

> 2.- If answer to 1 is "no" then, shall I install OpenSolaris in the whole disk? Is \
> there any suggested partition layout to separate data from system?

Current practice is not to physically separate data from system, just
use one big "tank".  That way you minimise file system maintenance.
But you can if you wish create zfs filesystems with constrained sizes.

Experts may differ, but I believe the only reason to have system
partition now is because zfs cannot mirror root.  So in an HA
situation you might use mirrored ufs for root and most everything else
goes into zfs.
--
Tony Reeves
Christchurch