List:       opensolaris-laptop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [laptop-discuss] How to suspend to ram?
From:       Randy Fishel <randy.fishel () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-10-29 19:50:01

> >   There is a methodology being used known as "Hybrid Suspend", whereas a
> > disk image is written and then the S3 (suspend to ram) mode is entered.
> > Should power not be lost, the resume is much faster.  However, if power is
> > lost, the machine will still resume.  The downside is the amount of time
> > taken to write the image and suspend.
> >   My understanding is that this is the only mechanism that Vista uses, so it
> > might have migrated to, or started in Xp.
> >

> Actually, it sounds like a good approach. :-)  We should look into it when we
> have the ability to resume-from-disk.
>
>    - Garrett

  The current intended approach for suspend to disk for OpenSolaris
is just that:  write the statefile, but enter S3 instead of S4.
Resume will be quick if no power loss, but there will still be a
resume.  Of course the penalty will be a longer suspend time, but for
those that want the quick suspend, they can just do suspend to ram.

	---- Randy