List:       opensolaris-laptop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [laptop-discuss] Zydas USB driver issues with 0ace,1215
From:       Ben Taylor <sol11x86 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2007-12-27 7:57:10

> > James C. Liu wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a plan to support that capability?
> >
> > Yes, we have plan, but the priority is very low.
>
> A quick question.  I just got a Gigafast WF748-CUI
> and it's a zd1211b device, so it looks like there's
> no support out of the current driver.
>
> I was looking over the zyd code and started comparing
> it  to the current openbsd code.
>
> I notice the the firmware.c file from the latest
> openbsd  tree has 11 sets of hex values on each
> line, while the opensolaris port has 10 sets.
>
> I realize there's not much activity going on with
> the zyd driver, but since I have a 1211b device, I'm
> wondering if someone with just a little more
> experience  with the device can confirm whether this
> should be  parallel from the openbsd code, rather
> than a  formatting  fork. The fork makes is more
> difficult to easily look for changes.

Started looking at the CVS log for the zyd driver on openbsd.
at http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&w=2&r=1&s=zyd+src&q=b
to start getting some hints for updating the zyd driver.

So from just a cursory examenation of the BSD code, it appears
they use the device ID's to select zd1211 or zd1211b.  As
I've not done much driver work at all (and not recently either)
I have not a good idea whether there should be two versions of
the zyd driver (zyd, zydb) or if there's a good way to figure it out
with one instance and then send down the right firmware.

In the meantime, I, like James, enabled the zd1211b, but used the
firmware file from OpenBSD CVS which has some "fixes" according to
CVS, and this is what I got after I inserted the device into my
Nevada box.

usba: [ID 912658 kern.info] USB 2.0 device (usbace,1215) operating at hi speed (USB \
                2.x) on USB 2.0 root hub: device@1, usb_mid0 at bus address 2
usba: [ID 349649 kern.info]      ZyDAS USB2.0 WLAN
genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] usb_mid0 is /pci@0,0/pcia723,10fd@10,3/device@1
genunix: [ID 408114 kern.info] /pci@0,0/pcia723,10fd@10,3/device@1 (usb_mid0) online
usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] usba:        no driver found for interface 0 (nodename: \
'interface') of ZyDAS USB2.0 WLAN

Obviously, it's not working yet, but it's a start.

Ben

["zyd_fw.c" (application/octet-stream)]