List:       opensolaris-laptop-discuss
Subject:    [laptop-discuss] Re: booting off DVD hangs
From:       Douglas Atique <tellmebout-solaris () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-12-23 14:08:41

> Hello,
>
> I am having some trouble after a fresh load. When I
> attempt to boot solaris 10u3 or u2 x86 off cdrom

What?! Do you have S10U3 already? Is it out? Haven't seen any news about it...

> (Toshiba Tecra-m3 given to me by Sun) after the
> initial screen (solaris, ttya, ttya) I will see the
> banner SUNOS....
> Then I see this warning:
> WARNING: failed to program IO space [0/20/3] BAR@0x10
> length 0x00
> Then I will see this warning on the screen several
> times before the entire thing locks up:
> WARNING /pci@0,0/pci11179,1@1d,2 (uhci2): connecting
> device on port 1 failed.
> WARNING /pci@0,0/pci11179,1@1d,2 (uhci2): connecting
> device on port 2 failed.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what this could be? The
> system seems to run find when boot off HD (not
> cdrom).
No, no idea.
With that said, let me tell you my little story.
A few months ago I was working to make my EVDO card work on Solaris (see the CDMA \
modem thread on this list). As I didn't know how to make it work, I was booting \
Knoppix from a LiveCD whenever I wanted my Internet connection. Strangely, after each \
Linux session, the next Solaris boot would complain with this exact error message \
(well, in fact the PCI function listed would be 0/31/6). What I learned to solve the \
problem is: 1. upon boot go to the BIOS setup (my Satellite will go there when I turn \
it on with ESC pressed) 2. in BIOS setup, select the default factory settings (again, \
in mine you press HOME to get that) 3. save settings and reboot -- Solaris should \
stop complaining and boot successfully.

Hope that helps.
-- Douglas