List:       opensolaris-laptop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [laptop-discuss] ral (RaLink RT2500) driver shows incorrect WEP
From:       Albert Lee <trisk () acm ! jhu ! edu>
Date:       2006-11-14 22:18:18

Oops, forgot to reply to the list.

On Monday 13 November 2006 12:31 am, Quaker Fang wrote:
> >Scanning shows some APs with WEP as unencrypted (in particular, the large
> >campus network here, which uses Cisco kit iirc). Some other networks
> >correctly display WEP status.
>
> Looks strange, do these APs with dynamic WEP?
> Can you provide more detail information of these APs?

For the campus "standard" network, the WEP key is static (Google for
abcdefabcdefabcdefabcdefab) and actual authentication is handled by a walled
garden login page. A single AP is visible in most locations on campus, and I
think roaming works. I'm not sure if the MAC address is always the same. The
documentation says they're all Cisco Aironet devices. I have no problems
using an Orinoco (pcwl) card.

> > I can associate with those correctly, as well
> >as with unencrypted networks.
> >
> >After using the card for between 10 minutes and an hour and generating a
> > few MB of traffic, it completely stops receiving traffic. Using ifconfig
> > to bring the interface down hangs.
>
> Please provide the mdb output of coredump here, we need to identify
> whether it is a driver issue or cardbus issue.
>cbhp (%s%d):

To clarify, the driver isn't crashing here, but seems to go into an unusable
state. Only the userspace tools hang (doing some ioctl for some streams
stuff, and they can be interrupted). iwconfig also returns empty scan results
when this happens. I don't get the interface back until I reboot.

Sometimes I can successfully bring the interface down and unplumb it, but it
is still in a bad state and I can't use it if I bring it back up. If I unplug
the card after unplumbing, I get "cbhp (pcic0): Failed to offline all devices
(slot slot0)".

-Albert