List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    [install-discuss] Install hangs at Keyboard Layout chooser
From:       Martin Althoff <martin.althoff () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-12-27 16:35:37

I am trying (and failing) with an install with a new mainboard: ECS Elitegroup \
945GCD-M. I have tried CDs 2009.06 and 2010.02. Actually a nice Atom 330 based board, \
but...

Symptom: The install runs fine up to the point where I choose the keyboard layout. \
The keyboard is absolutely non functional. This is with a PS/2 keyboard (verified \
with a second one). As a simple test, I have pressed the Num-lock button repeatedly. \
The light keeps going on/off up to the point where the screen changes from the blue \
screen with dots running to the black screen with only a single cursor. So before the \
SunOS copyright message.

Cross check with a borrowed USB keyboard allows me to get past this screen. Though if \
I do the num-lock test, it was still likely to hang at some point early in the \
install.

Install with  Win XP, SP3 is ok. Though I have had some weird effects there too. \
First suspecting hardware issues and exchanged the board. No change.

As an aside the onboard Attansic/Atheros network adapter is unsupported, so I'll work \
around that with a PCI card.

My search through old bug reports shows relatively little, so I'm really at a loss, \
as I would like to keep the board to build a NAS device. Suggestions are most \
                welcome.