List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    Re: [install-discuss] [zones-discuss] Upgrade from 127 to 128a blew
From:       Robert Hartzell <bear () rwhartzell ! net>
Date:       2009-12-07 23:54:27

Jerry Jelinek wrote:
> Robert Hartzell wrote:
>> I have upgraded 3 systems from 127 to 128a and all the zones basically
>> have the same error. autofs is in maintenance with 17 dependent
>> services not running. I haven't upgraded the zones because they are in
>> production and don't want to have to recreate all 7 of them again. Is
>> this a known issue or am I just the lucky one? I do have one system
>> that I can trouble shoot on if anyone has some ideas.
>>

> By not upgrading the zones you've put the system into an
> unknown and unsupported state.  The zones must be running
> the same system software as the global zone.  You can
> use the following sequence of commands to update the zones
> so that they are in sync with the global zone:
>
> # zoneadm -z foo detach
> # zoneadm -z foo attach -u
> # zoneadm -z foo attach
>
> The second attach is needed to work around a bug in b128.
> Normally this is not needed.
>
> Eventually the image-update code will automatically keep
> the zones in sync with the global zone but that code is
> still being designed.  In the meantime you have to manually
> keep the zones in sync as shown above.
>
> Jerry

My normal procedure is to image-update, reboot, check that everything is
working then update each zone. This has always worked because the zones
would still be running. All my external services are running in zones
(dns, smtp, http, ftp) so when I reboot I have no dns and therefore
can't update the zones. Not much I can do about the single point of
failure so is there a way I can update the zone before I reboot?

--
   Robert W Hartzell
bear at rwhartzell.net
   RwHartzell.Net