List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    Re: [install-discuss] will `pkg image-update` do the right thing
From:       Christopher Kampmeier <Christopher.Kampmeier () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2009-10-21 17:29:47

Kent Watsen wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>> JeOS a desktop environment?  No.  Similar to JeOS examples for other
>> operating systems, the 2009.06 JeOS prototype is CLI and headless
>> server oriented. Consequently, the windowing system and
>> desktop-oriented tools are not part of the initial installation.
> Egads! - sorry for the mix-up!
>

> Hmmm, the project page says that JeOS is primarily for virtualization
> environments but, as I'm trying to setup Dom0, I need it to run on
> metal.  The main page says "and, to some extent, developers delivering
> bare metal, reduced footprint installations such as those used in
> low-end hardware appliances".  Is this a path I should consider taking
> or do you think I should use ISC?
If you want to realize the full extent of ISC including the non-global
zones as Immutable Service Containers, then you might be better off with
that route.

Generally, I sense that people prefer building up an installation that
meets their needs rather than removing lots of packages to do the same.
So if you don't mind using the Automated Installer, you can take the
build up route.  For now, use of AI entails setting up an install server.

I've been experimenting (see link below) with the use of AI and an early
form of a base install profile represented in an AI manifest.  Although
I've been using VirtualBox and have added a few driver packages to the
base list of packages to meet the needs of running in a VirtualBox
environment, you could probably modify the list to suit the needs of
your bare metal environment.  Of course you'd also probably want to add
some features/packages beyond the base that are needed for your
particular application.

http://blogs.sun.com/middle/entry/opensolaris_base_install_experiments

Chris