List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    [install-discuss] Indiana installation help with 3rd party drivers
From:       Jason Frank <duckhead92 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-21 13:24:36

OK, I've got a pickle, and I can't seem to find my way out.  I'm quite familiar with \
Solaris, but all of this Live CD and zfs stuff is quite new to me.

I have a server with 12x1TB SATA drives on a Areca 1130 controller (JBOD), it also \
has a 4GB CF on a PATA interface.  I want to have my BE on the CF, and a huge RAIDZ2 \
zpool across 11 of the disks, with one hot spare.

I've reached the conclusion that a 4GB CF card isn't nearly big enough to handle \
upgrades to the BE (after losing 500MB to swap.)  The upgrade to 93 was substantially \
more than it could handle.  So, I'm guessing that I just need to scrub the CF \
altogether, and go with the Areca alone.

When I boot the LiveCD, I see the CF card w/o a problem, but the Areca is missing.  \
There's a driver for it, SUNWarcmsr, that was supposed to be integrated by snv 93, \
but evidently wasn't.

So, I figured I'd just go and load the driver before running the installer.  When i \
tried to install it using pkgadd, I didn't have enough disk space to backup \
/var/sadm/install.

I first figured I'd add in a second ramdisk into the zpool, but then I found out it's \
not in a zpool.  So, that was thwarted.  So, I then looked for documentation on how \
to increase the size of the ramdisk, but I found nothing there.

Then, I looked around for documentation on how to get the driver loaded at boot time. \
Areca does supply a ITU disk image, but I don't have a disk drive, and the Indiana \
installer never prompts me to load a driver disk anyway.

Then I thought I'd get clever and load the drivers into the LiveCD image before \
burning it to CD.  So, I did some more documentation searching.  I found some \
references to ITU tools that are coming Real Soon Now, but nothing that I can use \
today.  So, I don't appear to be able to do that either.

Another thing I don't quite get is how to handle this boot procedure.  In old school \
Solaris, I'd usually have a RAID1 mirror for /, and I'd boot to that device (and if \
that failed, boot to the other).  Can I do the same thing with a raidz2 pool?  I \
wouldn't think I could, so I'd need to keep my kernel image on the CF, and boot from \
that with root living on the raidz2 pool, but I'm evidently not figuring out how to \
set that up.  How do I get that working with the Indiana installer?  Do I have to go \
back to a Jumpstart config?  That's going to be annoying out here, since I'm just now \
introducing Solaris.

Does anyone have any advice on how to configure this monster?

Thanks.
duckhead