List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    Re: [install-discuss] New installer impressions
From:       Sarah Jelinek <Sarah.Jelinek () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-02-27 22:24:03

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the feedback.

Paul Floyd wrote:
> Hi
>
> Last night I installed SXDE 02/08, using the new installer. I found the new \
> interface much prettier, but there's a lot less functionality.

That's actually by design. We want to simply the install experience so
that users don't have to answer so many questions. In particular the
SXDE installer is geared toward developers who might be new to
OpenSolaris. I think it is difficult to get the just right amount of
configuration capability. Many users want less, some want more, some
want equivalent to what we have today.
> 1. Previously, I had my install split over two hard disks (/usr on one, / and swap \
> on the other). This no longer seems possible. It's either one disk or one \
> partition.

That's true, it isn't possible. We have only allowed for single disk
installs at this point.  Since we are moving to ZFS root this is not
quite the same anyway. Why did you specifically split these filesystems?
I assume for performance reasons?
> 2. No network setup. nwam didn't do any magic with my system (I use static \
> addresses).
> 3. I couldn't launch a shell to poke around and see what the installer was up to.
>
> 4. No choice of shell. Worse, the default is bash (beurk, but not as beurk as \
> [t]csh).
>
> A+
> Paul

Your feedback is great! Thank you for taking the time to send this. Keep
an eye on caiman-discuss for the future developments with the new installer.

Regards,
sarah
****