List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    Re: [install-discuss] [zones-discuss] [storage-discuss] Using
From:       "Giovanni Schmid" <giovanni.schmid () na ! icar ! cnr ! it>
Date:       2007-12-05 17:14:16

Thanks Lori for your clarification, that's what I intended to say in my
previous email!

Being aware of bug 6356600, I configured the system in such way that all
zone paths are in UFS. Then, I created a ZFS mirrored pool (/zfspool) in
order to store user's data (home directories, etc..)

I actually have two zones configured on the system.

The first one is intended to offer the dns service ONLY, thus it does not
mount any ZFS (for security reasons, the only user in this zone is root).

The second zone is intended to offer the mail service ONLY. In this case,
space is required both for user's mailboxes in /var/mail and user's homes.
This storage  is realized via ZFS, in order to take advantage of this new
technology (this is because I created a ZFS mirrored pool).

This design/configuration is intended to guarantee fault-tolerance (BE
duplication and data mirroring) in an easier way than using  SVM
(explicitly).

On the basis of my readings on zones, ZFS and LU, I BELIEVE that running
LUpgrade as follows:

# lucreate -c bootenv1 -m /:c2d0s0:ufs -n bootenv2

(that is, just duplicating the root UFS) will work, meaning that the 2nd
zone in the secondary BE will see the ZFSs, too.

However, since the system is a working production environment, I would have
a 100% confidence that my believes are true... :-)

Thanks to all for your support
g.s

> As I read Giovanni's mail, I don't think he's referring to the
> "zone roots on zfs datasets" issues (as described in bug 6356600).
> I think he's just asking whether a zfs dataset added to a zone's
> environment via the "add fs" command in the zone's configuration
> will also appear in that same zone in the new boot environment that
> results from a lucreate.  As far as I know, the answer is yes,
> but someone more familiar with zones might have to answer
> for sure.  If the zone configuration is stored in a file in the root file
> system, it would be copied to the new BE, and thus I would expect
> file systems mounted in the zones in the PBE would also appear
> in those same zones in the ABE, but I want someone with zones
> knowledge to confirm this.
>
> Lori
>

> Antonello Cruz wrote:
>> I don't think live_upgrade(5) is zfs friendly. I've tried to use
>> live_upgrade(5) with my zones in a zfs filesystem and it didn't worked.
>>   You could try to detach the zone before the luupgrade and then attach
>> it in the new BE, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
>> Antonello
>>
>> Jeff Cheeney wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe someone on the install or zones discussion lists can help answer
>>> this question.

Giovanni Schmid, PhD.
High Performance Computing and Networking Institute
National Research Council
Italy