List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    Re: [install-discuss] JumpStart DHCP Options?? Why don't they work?
From:       Dave Miner <Dave.Miner () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2007-12-03 20:12:15

Mike Gerdts wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 9:40 AM, Dave Miner <Dave.Miner@sun.com> wrote:
>> 3.  Our design space for the problem needs to consider the WAN
>> installation case (which likely doesn't use DHCP at all as a
>> configuration delivery mechanism) as a primary requirement.
>
> If I get it right the following are strategic directions that are decided:
>
> - grub on x86 for disk or network
> - zfs boot on sparc
> - wanboot for network on sparc
>
> All of technologies above work best if a miniroot is used.
>
> For the sake of consistency (less testing, customer mistakes, etc.)
> has any thought gone into adapting grub to have a wanboot personality?
>  Phase 1 would be to download wanboot configuration files and do the
> right thing with them.  Phase 2 could be to bring in the crypto
> support if there is justification[1].

Only some very abstract thought, in that I'd like to see things more
unified and hopefully simpler, and I know a number of customers would
like to see x86 have similar WAN capabilities as SPARC.

One thing which WAN booting on SPARC supports is using a CD as the boot
media; its main purpose is to provide the WAN capability for older
systems where an updated OBP firmware wasn't provided.  That seems like
the way to go for the non-DHCP/PXE case on x86 as well, especially if
you can use USB flash drives pre-loaded with the correct security keys.

Dave