List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    [install-discuss] Re: [osol-help] Doubt reg patchadd & patchrm
From:       Albert White <Albert.White () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2006-06-30 14:35:27

Hi,

Rathinamurthy wrote:
 > I am trying to create patces for my application in Solaris.I want to give
 > the ability to backout to my patches.
> Can i use the patchadd ,patchrm utilities ..but this utilities expect the PATCHID in
> the below format..
> SUNW_PATCHID=******-**[* is 0-9]
>
> Is this format specific for SUN OS patches ..or any application developer can use this..?

I don't think patches have to conform to that exactly. IDR patchid's for
example are prefixed with IDR which patchadd can install fine. I'm not sure
if you can replace the patchid itself with a regular string (eg.
APPPATCH-05), I've cc'd install-discus some folks there are more familiar
with the patchadd/pdo code.

Out of interest, how are you creating the patches?

Cheers,
~Albert

--
Albert White - Patch System Test - Sun Ireland
albert.white@sun.com  http://blogs.sun.com/albertw