List:       opensolaris-i18n-discuss
Subject:    Re: [i18n-discuss] Linux japanese locales vs. Solaris japanese
From:       Ienup Sung <Ienup.Sung () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2006-07-25 6:23:44

Hello Roland,

I think what you raised is a very good point. I think some level of
transparent compatibility should be supported in both sides and particuarly
we can do better at Solaris and OpenSolaris by either come up with
locale name aliasing mechanism at setlocale(3C) or simply by providing
locale name aliases via symlinks at locale directories as you wrote.

Would anyone interested in looking further into this and come up with
a proposal on what need to be done and/or suggestions with hopefully
comparison study on the locale names with Linux/glibc distros?

Another area is iconv names. We do support alias mechanism with a list of
aliases at /usr/lib/iconv/alias but I'm not quite sure if it is complete
or if anyone has done some comparison study on this.

Any comment, suggestions, or volunteers?

Ienup