List:       opensolaris-help
Subject:    Re: [osol-help] Configuring VNC server on OpenSolaris b134
From:       James <generaldelta () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-07-28 15:53:05

Hello Jon,

Yes, I did get VNC to work.  No, I did not get a terminal service like solution to \
work.

The trick with getting VNC to work was to turn off all visual effects, then I could \
simply ssh in and issue vncserver and vnc to which ever port number was handed out.

Each time you do a vncserver it will start a new instance on next port up.  So if you \
already have screensharing enabled you'll have 5901 be the next.  If you do it again \
you'll get 5902 etc, though it'll only say on port 1 or 2 etc.  Now you can end these \
with "ps -ef|grep vnc" and then kill the PIDs for the running vnc servers.

The config for vncserver will come from ~/.vnc/xstartup.  In b111 (2009.06) it \
defaults to twn, in b134 it defaults to gnome.  You can of course set it up anyway \
you want.  You'll have to understand the values of the config file of course.  I have \
reverted back to b111 because b134 nuked one of my pool so I had to edit xstartup \
because I didn't want to use twn.  Here is a nice link on that:

http://blogs.sun.com/divyen/entry/vnc_opensolaris_2009_06_ami

However you should be able to present a login page which would provide terminal \
service like results.

You might also be interested in knowing that you can pass various options to \
vncserver in case you want to over ride your config.  For instance you can do:

vncserver -depth 24 -geometry 1680x1050 :0

This is specifying a color depth of 24 bit, this is good if you need to increase \
quality or decrease bandwidth.  The geometry should be 1680 by 1050, this is good if \
you need it bigger or smaller for specific session.  And the ':0' is stating port 0, \
but really we are counting from 5900 as mentioned above.  So a :1 would be 5901, \
etc...

I hope that helps.  If you are specifically looking for TS I believe you should be \
able to pull it off.  I would google for xstartup values, or vnc script values, or \
solaris xstartup values, or solaris vnc xstartup config, etc.  Basically refine the \
search until you start getting the hits you're looking for, but I think you will want \
                to focus on the xstartup file.