List:       opensolaris-help
Subject:    [osol-help] Clean install step-by-step: 2008.11 network print
From:       Ray Clark <webclark () rochester ! rr ! com>
Date:       2008-12-29 20:30:12

Has *ANYBODY* been able to print to a queue served up by 2008.11 from Linux or \
                Windows or MacOS?  If so, please tell me how!
---
After alot of troubles, in an effort to create a clean documentation of the major \
problem, I have wiped my system - zeroed the disks and done a clean install, then \
step by step documented my creation of a local printer queue that works locally, but \
not from a remote client.

I tried printing to lpr, and the detailed client error message says that a connection \
cannot be made to the port.  Its log file says that the server is busy, and keeps \
retrying.  Networking is fine, in fact I did part of the work through ssh from the \
client to the server.

So I tried IPP.  IPP is disabled, when I try to start it goes into maintenance mode.  \
Traced to the fact that it appears that httpd is not installed.  "System \
Administration Guide:  Solaris Printing" states:

"The listener is implemented on Solaris as an Apache module and a series of shared \
libraries containing IPP oepration and wire support.  The IPP software stack is \
installed when the Solaris OS is installed on the systemk.  The IPP listening service \
is an SMF service that depends on the print service to run.  As a result, IPP is \
automatically enabled on a print server when the first print queue has been added.  \
It is also disapbled when the last print queue has been removed."

It appears that the 2008.11 distribution fails to install httpd, and I don't know \
what else.

I followed step by step "System Administration Guide:  Solaris Printing"  \
"Troubleshooting Printer Problems" which showed that everything was OK.

Details are below.  What I am trying to accomplish is a "simple" install of 2008.11 \
with a ZFS shared through NFS and CIFS, and a print server for Linux, Windows, and \
MacOS.  So far ZFS over NFS works great, have not tried CIFS, and printing is a great \
challenge.  All forms of advise and comments are welcome at this point.

Detailed steps:

Use knoppix to zero entire boot disk.

[ ]   Install 2008.11
      [ ]   Select "Use entire disk"
            (Will make a single primary Solaris partition.
            Will format with ZFS, making various UNIX "file systems" as
            ZFS file systems.
      [ ]   Users:
[ ]   Set the screen resolution as desired (e.g. 1600x1200 75Hz)
[ ]   eeprom kernelbase=0x80000000
      Gives kernel a larger address space.  Helps with ZFS on x86
[ ]   eeprom pci-ide=pci1283,8212
      If you are using an IT8212 PCI IDE controller card
[ ]   touch /reconfigure
      So new HW detected on next reboot
[ ]   Create /etc/hostname.iprb0
       echo "inet rnscserver" >/etc/hostname.iprb0
[ ]   ifconfig iprb0 dhcp release
[ ]   catman -w to generate man pages
[ ]   /etc/auto_master
      Comment out the /home line (homes will be put in /export/home
      automount
         (no parameters) to update automounter configuration.
[ ]   shutdown -i0 -g0 -y

Reboots.  Log in to adminst again.
Close (Cancel) 2-3 pop-ups wanting to install printer. Later.

Gain access to previous zpool full of user data.  Unrelated to printer problem.
zpool import
zpool import -f -a

Po-po printer to get pop-up wanting to install printer
Message "FS-1010 failed to reject"
   pops up along top bar, disappears
Pop-up dialog "Add Printer Queue"
   Name:          FS-1010
   Manufacturer:  Kyocera (Changable)
   Model:         Kyocera FS-1010 (Changable)
   Driver:        Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)
   Host:          rnscserver
   Device:        /dev/printers/1
                     (Kyocera FS-1010)
   Check "Set as default printer"
   Mouse-click "Add"
Message "FS-1010 is online and ready to print"
   pops up along top bar and disappears

Open Firefox
   Brings up "Welcome to Open Solaris 2008.11 page"
   File/Print dialog
      Select FS-1010
      Print
   Prints!  (With cover sheet)

svcs application/print/ipp-listener
   disabled

Tail /var/adm/messages
   uri-interface:  [ID 702911 lpr.error] unrecognized "-o serial=XBJ2311931" option, \
ignored

Start to follow "System Administration Guide:  Solaris Printing" found under "Solaris \
Express" documentation.  Chapter 12 Troubleshooting Printing Problems (Tasks)

/usr/lib/lp/bin/printer-info -a /dev/printers/*
   /dev/printers/0:  I/O Error
   /dev/printers/1:
      Manufacturer:  Kyocera
      Model:         FS-1010
      Class:         PRINTER
      Command set:
         cmd[0]:  PCLXL
         cmd[1]:  PostScript Emulation
         cmd[2]:  PCL5E
         cmd[3]:  PJL

Add "lpr.debug<tab>/var/adm/lprlog" to syslog.conf
   where <tab> is the single character tab-key.

svcadm restart system.log
         (As instructed under "How to Debug Printing Problems"
   svcadm: Pattern 'system.log' doesn't match any instances

   Evidently this is not the way to re-read the configuration file!
   "man syslogd" indicates that it re-reads syslog.conf
   when it receives a HUP

   ps -le | grep syslogd
      pid is 446
   kill -HUP 446

Most of this section is debugging local printing problems.
The printer works fine locally.  Don't want to run the
commands that CHANGE anything - it is SUPPOSED to be set
up correctly by the install!

lpstat -r
   The scheduler is running
   If not running:   /usr/lib/lpsched

svcs application/print/server
   Online ...
   If disabled:                  svcadm enable application/print/server

lpstat -a
   FS-1010 accepting requests since ...
   If not accepting requests:    accept FS-1010

lpstat -p FS-1010
   printer FS-1010 idle.  enabled since ...
   If not printing:              enable FS-1010

lpstat -t
   scheduler is running
   no system default destination
   device for FS-1010: /dev/printers/1
   FS-1010 accepting requests since ...
   printer FS-1010 idle.  enabled since ...
   Failed to contact service for FS: not-found

   Note:
      I checked the box saying to set FS-1010 as default printer!
            Yet the lp subsystem did not get the message!

      The last line is troublesome... wonder what it means?

lpstat -p FS-1010 -l
   Form mounted:
   Content thypes: application/postscript
   Printer types: unknown
   Connection: direct
   Interface: /usr/likb/lp/model/uri
   PPD: /usr/share/ppd/SUNwfoomatic/Kyocera/Kyocera-FS-1010-Postscript.ppd.gz
   On fault: write root
   After fault: continue
   User allowed:
      (all)
   Forms allowed:
      (none)
   Media supported:
      Letter
      A4
   Banner required
   Character  sets:
      (none)
   Default pitch:
   Default page size:
   Default port setting:

   The example has type of "PS", but then they say that you ...

   Can set the printer type to "unknown" and content type to "any"

      lpadmin -p FS-1010 -T unknown -I any

Never ending stream of displatch / s_inquire messages is dribbling into
   /var/adm/lprlog (where I pointed lpr.debug to)

Go to Linux system to try to print to Solaris queue
Suse YAST2 Printer / Connection Wizard
First try lpr queue (Should be simplest?)
   Print Via Print Server Machine
      Traditional UNIX Server (LPR)
         IP Address or Host Name
            Scan for LPD Servers
               Nothing found
            Look Up for All Hosts
               rnscserver.rnscnet.lan found
         Queue Name
            FS-1010

         Test Connection
            Access test failed for queue 'FS-1010' on host
               'rnscwsrever.rnscnet.lan'
            Details:
               "No connection possible to port 515 (lpd)"

            Big Question:  Why not?

Next try IPP.  Documentation indicates that IPP listener is started
when first queue is added.
   Access Network Printer or Printserver Box via
      Internet Printing Protocol (IPP)

         Note that /etc/printers.conf on 2008.11 has:
            FS-1010:\
               :printer-uri-supported=ipp\://rnscserver/printers/FS-1010:\
               :bsdaddr=rnscserver,FS-1010,Solaris:\
               :description=Kyocera Mita FS-1010:

         URI:  (Suse YAST2 printer configuration dialog box)
            ipp://rnscserver/printers/FS-1010
               Note that YAST2 also had ":portnumber", but Solaris printers.conf
                  does not say to put one.
         Select the printer manufacturer:
            Kyocera
         [OK]
            Assign Driver:
               Kyocera FS-1010 Foomatic/Postscript (recommended)...
                  (hope it is the same as Solaris'  Does it matter?)
                     Set Name:
               Kyocera
                  No clue what is done with this field
            [OK]

   Printer Configurations Screen in YAST2 now lists the queue

   [Print Test Page}
      Does nothing.  Nothing prints.
      Nothing in any messages files (messages or lprlog) on Solaris.
      Nothing in messages on Linux

      /var/log/cups/error_log says:
         recoverable: Network host 'rnscserver' is busy:
            will retry in 30 seconds ...
         over and over and over again

Recall above that:
   svcs application/print/ipp-listener
      disabled ... (!)

   Manual said that it would be ENABLED when a queue is created!

Try enabling it:
   svcadm enable application/print/ipp-listener
      (no messages printed)
   svcs application/print/ipp-listener
      maintenance ...

See what is wrong (picked this up somewhere)
   svcs -xv
      State: Maintenance
      Reason:  Start method failed repeatedly, last exited with status 127
      See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-KS
               Not directly helpful, says it failed, gives general
               advise where to look.
      See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 4 mod_ipp
      See: /var/svc/log/application-print-ipp-listener:default.log
      Impact: This service is not running

/var/svc/log/application-print-ipp-listener:default.log

   Executing start method ("/usr/apache/bin/httpd -f \
/etc/apache/httpd-standalone-ipp.conf").  /sbin/sh[1]: exec: /usr/apache/bin/httpd: \
not found Method "start" exited with status 127.

Look for /usr/apache/bin/httpd

   Sure enough, /usr/apache exists, but contains only a subdirectory
      "libexec", which in turn contains mod_ipp.so

   there is no /usr/apache/bin directory at all, let alone "...bin/httpd

So questions are:
   [1]   Why couldn't I print to the LPR queue?
   [2]   The documentation says that the IPP listener is installed
          when the system is installed, and that the IPP listener module is
          started under Apache when the first queue is created, yet it
          appears that apache's httpd is not even installed!
   [3]   Locally, why isn't the default printer set, when I checked the box?
             (Obviously the least of my problems!)