List:       opensolaris-help
Subject:    Re: [osol-help] Connection between several computers
From:       Lars Tunkrans <lars.tunkrans () bredband ! net>
Date:       2008-07-29 9:59:47

> Currently I have an ADSL (D-Link) modem which serves
> also as a hub, with the IP address 192.168.1.1
> Since this box has DHCP enabled and all computers
> connect through this way, starting with
> 192.168.1.2
> Through ssh I can connect easily to another machine
> with something like:
>
> ssh -X -l username 192.168.1.3
>
> Instead of '192.168.1.3', how can I use the hostname
> of the remote machine?
> Do I need to work with static IP addresses which can
> be assigned in the hub?

  The cheap home-ADSL-routers  do not have enough configurability for a complete
DCHP-DNS integrated setup.

two possibilities exists for  DNS-DHCP integration .

1 )   Microsoft active directory DHCP and DNS

       ( this is probably not what we want to build as Solaris hackers )

2 ) ISC  BIND  ( DNS )  + ISC  DCHP

    ISC BIND is already included in Solaris , However SUN is shipping their own
   DHCP server so the integration between DNS and DCHP is probably not that good.

http://www.isc.org/index.pl

So the ADSL Router can possible be configured to Always offer the same IP adress
to specific MAC addresses from a Specific NIC, and therefore ensure that a PC
always recives the same IP Adress.  But the ADSL Router cant ship this info
off to a DNS server so that the IPadress gets associated with a name.
You can ofcourse build a DNS service with Static content.  which will work
with the ADSL-ROuters Static list of preconfigured MAC_to _IP DHCP service.

However only the two case above will work with dynamically distributed IP adresses.

 //Lars