List:       opensolaris-help
Subject:    [osol-help] Re: Installing a NIC
From:       Guillermo Salas Ventura <memo.salas () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-19 13:44:29

I had the exact same problem.

(I could never get the gld3 driver to work, although some others from this same page \
have worked for me)

I finally got it working by doing the following:

went to this guy's page here: http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

There you will find 2 potential drivers for vfe:  download the PRE-gld3 driver (the \
one with version number earlier than 2.3.0).

> From there on, I just followed sun's page \
> http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/via_rhine_nic.html
There's a catch! in this article the driver's name was still rh0, this time you will \
have to work with vfe0  because at some point the driver was renamed.

So basically after getting your driver in compressed form or whatever you eventually \
put it in /tmp or something and extract the contents to a directory, from there: 1.-  \
-switch to the directory where you just extracted the driver binaries 2.-   \
/usr/ccs/bin/make install 3.-   ./adddrv.sh
4.-   devfsadm -i vfe
5.-   ifconfig vfe0 plumb
      (at this point, doing "ifconfig -a"    should show your nic as vfe0 )
6.-   ifconfig vfe0 inet     (your ip here)
7.-   ifconfig vfe0 up
8.-   route add default     (your default gateway's ip here)
9.-   ping your gateway

then do ifconfig -a and you should see it there.

that's it. Just follow suns bigadmin thread that talks about how to setup permanent \
routes, define your persistent ip etc...

P.S.  in case you get  a "network unreachable"  message when trying to add routes, it \
may be that you need to run "ifconfig vfe0 up"   before trying the "route add default \
(some ip here)"  command.  In that case, edit the file  /lib/svc/method/net-physical  \
so that you do  a   "ifconfig vfe0 up"  just before it starts issuing the "route add \
default" command in the add defaultrouter routine.

Hope that helps,

   memo