List:       opensolaris-help
Subject:    [osol-help] Re: Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory (x86)
From:       jk () tools ! de (=?UTF-8?Q?J=C3=BCrgen_Keil?=)
Date:       2005-06-23 6:05:04

Sorry, I ommited the 640KB "low memory" usable ram in my previous message.
Every modern x86 box will probably have that amount of low memory, and I hope
GRUB isn't that stupid to try loading the ramdisk into the 640K of low memory.

On the ASUS P2B mainboard, the upper memory (>= 1MB) is split into a small 14MB
segment and a big 360MB segment when "memory hole at 15M-16M is enabled".

With the "memory hole" disabled, snv_16 boots, "upper memory" is ~380MB,
and displaymem reports:

0x00000 0x9f800 Usable 638K
0x9f800 0x800 Reserved 2K
0xf0000 0x10000 Reserved 64K
0x100000 0x17efd000 Usable ~380M
0x17ffd000 0x2000 Reserved 8K
0x17fff000 0x1000 Reserved 4K
0xffff0000 0x10000 Reserved 64K

And when the "memory hole" is enabled, GRUB reports Error 28:
Selected item cannot fit into memory (x86) .  "Upper memory" is
reported as 14M:

0x00000 0x9f800 Usable 638K
0x9f800 0x800 Reserved 2K
0xf0000 0x10000 Reserved 64K