List:       opensolaris-gnu-sol-discuss
Subject:    [gnu-sol-discuss] OpenSolaris consolidation project (integration)
From:       "Brian Gupta" <brian.gupta () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-05-07 17:45:43

I have attempted to come up with a new document summarizing the
discussion so far. As there were over 120 emails to review, I may have
missed certain points, links and/or points of view. (Please note, this
draft also additional discussion points that I haven't brought up
yet.)

OpenSolaris consolidation project (integration)

Goals
--------
   1. Common packaging and distribution system
          * Must support vertical dependency trees (To ease in installation)
          * Must support the concepts of bundles and horizontal
dependencies. (Current method of downloading an ISO is not optimal.)
          * Must be as fine grained as possible
          * Must support multiple versions of individual packages,
with metadata support. e.g:
                o Mature - snapshots.
                o Latest stable
                o Bugfix bump
                o Bleeding edge (vibrancy)
                o Optional distro customization support
          * Examples:
                o Blastwave pkg-get
                o Debian apt-get
                o Gentoo Solaris-bootstrap:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
          * Standard must be extensible, as we will definately have
lessons learned as time goes on.
   2. Common repository and OpenSolaris community.
          * Community members/repositories
                o sunfreeware.com - /usr/local
                o blastwave.org - /opt/csw
                o opensolaris.org - SFW
                o opensolaris.org - CCD
                o opensolaris.org - JDS
                      +
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/desktop-discuss/2007-April/005927.html
                o opensolaris.org - Ports
                o Distro representatives. (Sun included)
          * Need a new OpenSolaris community name
                o I propose "integration"
                o Alternatives
                      + "packaging"
                      + "bundling"
                      + "distrib"
          * Need OGB approve to consolidate communities
          * Decisions, standards and control of this repository should
remain under the OpenSolaris.org umbrella.
                o There may be other repositories who wish to maintain
a mirror that includes backward compatibility for older Solaris OSes
and different path standards (e.g. - Blastwave)
          * Every thing in OpenSolaris, plus the universe
          * Include source packages (which include flags)
          * Must have an agreed upon consolidated documentation method
to keep metadata and notes.
          * Enduser involvement? (Mailing lists, feature requests, etc)
   3. Package maintenance responsibilities
          * Leverage the experience of the Blastwave package
maintains. They are already familiar with the packages, package
authors, and stability.
          * Reach out to GNU Maintainers (upsteam package maintenance)
http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/2007/05/03#2007-05-03-distributions-2.0
          * OpenSolaris community members.
          * Package maintainers apply code patches.
          * How to sustain "critical" open source packages in the future?
                o (This is a Sun issue. Although it doesn't have to be.)
          * Possibly require maintainers to indicate a backup maintainer
          * How do we credit contributors
   4. Packages need to have a formal policy regarding install locations
          * Userland, administration land, and applications for starters
          * Gaps and conflicts in current best practice documents
                o OpenSolaris Best practices -
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/policies/install-locations/
is incomplete.
                o LSB-FSH standard -
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
                o Solaris filesystem(5) man page -
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-0220/6m6nkorot?a=view
   5. Create an OpenSolaris reference build distribution
          * http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=29084&tstart=0
                o Can we come up with a more generic name, if we are
to use one of the existing distros. (eg: OS
          * Investigate Bellenix as a starting point:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/opensolaris-mktg/2007-May/003747.html

Open Questions
-----------------------
   1. Are the Solaris and OpenSolaris goals one and the same?
   2. OpenSolaris is not Solaris, IE: Can OpenSolaris set it's own
standards, that do not necessarily align with Sun's?
         1. For example can the OpenSolaris community choose to remove
Java from OpenSolaris?
         2. Can OpenSolaris replace JDS with a more generic Gnome
         3. Can we dump the legacy weirdness
         4. Is there a mandate that OpenSolaris must maintain backward
compatibility with Solaris?
         5. Can we change inconsistent paths without leaving symlinks?
   3. Shouldn't we remove all non core stuff from OpenSolaris?