List:       opensolaris-dtrace-discuss
Subject:    Re: [dtrace-discuss] dtrace -G (was: Mac OS X 10.5 USDT bug)
From:       Adam Leventhal <ahl () eng ! sun ! com>
Date:       2008-07-10 8:32:58

On Jul 4, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Andreas Färber wrote:

>> 	This is the source of some debate between Adam and I :-). We're
>> planning to add a -G no-op flag so builds don't fall over, but we
>> have
>> no plans to ever support the old DTRACE_PROBE macros.
>
> To add to that debate, I recently added USDT probes to the Mono
> runtime (http://www.mono-project.com). On Mac OS X, this was really
> easy. The dtrace -G for Solaris however does not play nice with GNU
> automake and libtool. Thus, I would rather prefer if Sun would drop
> dtrace -G like Apple did.

I realize that having an additional step can be a pain, but there's
additional information that we intend to add to the provider
definition file
that the -G option lets us do. That said, we some investigation into
adding
an option to the linker so while we're not going to get rid of the .d
file,
we may make it possible to pass in the appropriate .d file to the final
linker invocation. This solves a few problems including IPO and
dealing with
archives (.a libraries).

Adam

--