List:       opensolaris-dtrace-discuss
Subject:    Re: [dtrace-discuss] process
From:       Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-03-25 2:52:12

Salman Jamali wrote:
> Thanks. I read about X11, and i understand that i'll need to observe the keyPress \
> events, and fetch the keys and associate them with the process that has the \
> keyboard focus.
> I have two issues.
>
> 1- I am using the latest Solaris Express Developer Edition 01/08, and I believe it \
> to have all the probes available for Xserver. Running # dtrace -l -n 'Xserver*:::', \
> returns me this:
> ID   PROVIDER            MODULE                          FUNCTION NAME
> 4 Xserver621              Xorg                   CloseDownClient client-disconnect
> 5 Xserver621              Xorg                          Dispatch request-done
> 6 Xserver621              Xorg                          Dispatch request-start
> 7 Xserver621              Xorg                       AddResource resource-alloc
> 8 Xserver621              Xorg               FreeClientResources resource-free
> 9 Xserver621              Xorg    FreeClientNeverRetainResources resource-free
> 10 Xserver621              Xorg                FreeResourceByType resource-free
> 11 Xserver621              Xorg                      FreeResource resource-free
> 12 Xserver621              Xorg               WriteEventsToClient send-event
>
> Now, there are a few probes missing here including client-auth for \
> ClientAuthorized. Are these deprecated, or is my system missing them?

There's a bug in Nevada which has caused some of the probes to not be built
into Xorg - unfortunately, I've not had time to try to figure out where in
the compiler/linker/dtrace chain the probe is being lost.

> Secondly, I am trying to understand the xEvent structure to retrieve the key that \
> is pressed. But my approach is more of a trial and error and adhoc. Is there any \
> way to understand xEvent structure and other code more clearly to get to know more \
> about each field, beside the data structures only?

The xEvent structure is defined in the X11 Protocol.   You might also find some
description in the old O'Reilly X programming manuals, if you can still find a set.

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith@sun.com