List:       opensolaris-dtrace-discuss
Subject:    Re: [dtrace-discuss] process snoop
From:       Salman Jamali <salmanj_85 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-20 9:51:02

Thanks. I read about X11, and i understand that i'll need to observe the keyPress \
events, and fetch the keys and associate them with the process that has the keyboard \
focus.

I have two issues.

1- I am using the latest Solaris Express Developer Edition 01/08, and I believe it to \
have all the probes available for Xserver. Running # dtrace -l -n 'Xserver*:::', \
returns me this:

 ID   PROVIDER            MODULE                          FUNCTION NAME
    4 Xserver621              Xorg                   CloseDownClient \
client-disconnect  5 Xserver621              Xorg                          Dispatch \
request-done  6 Xserver621              Xorg                          Dispatch \
request-start  7 Xserver621              Xorg                       AddResource \
resource-alloc  8 Xserver621              Xorg               FreeClientResources \
resource-free  9 Xserver621              Xorg    FreeClientNeverRetainResources \
resource-free  10 Xserver621              Xorg                FreeResourceByType \
resource-free  11 Xserver621              Xorg                      FreeResource \
resource-free  12 Xserver621              Xorg               WriteEventsToClient \
send-event

Now, there are a few probes missing here including client-auth for ClientAuthorized. \
Are these deprecated, or is my system missing them?

Secondly, I am trying to understand the xEvent structure to retrieve the key that is \
pressed. But my approach is more of a trial and error and adhoc. Is there any way to \
understand xEvent structure and other code more clearly to get to know more about \
each field, beside the data structures only?

Please state any script fragments if that may help. Thanks a lot.