List:       opensolaris-dtrace-discuss
Subject:    Re: [dtrace-discuss] Re: Using DTrace to monitor productions systems
From:       Roch - PAE <Roch.Bourbonnais () Sun ! Com>
Date:       2006-12-18 10:55:25

Dirk Volkmar writes:
 > Hi, Adam!
 >
 > Thats are good news. I'm not on the wrong path ;-)
 >
 > In the moment I have one problem to solve. It is the start up of the
 > dtrace scripts collecting the performance data. The two proceses
 > mentioned above are not started directly but from an other process.
 > In the moment my solution is that i created wrapper shell scripts that
 > call the dtrace with the process (-c switch). This solution has some
 > problems:
 >
 > 1)If the controlling process shuts down the system the dtraces are
 > killed, but the origin process are still running. Maybe I can handle
 > this with forwarding it to the process (using trap, or something like
 > that).
 >
 > 2) The startup of the processes is significantly slower than the
 > normal startup. Are there any options to speed up the dtrace startup?
 > I've noticed that there is a -S switch showing an dtrace intermediate
 > code. But I'vent found any possibilty to use this code.
 >
 > Bye, Dirk

I don't know if it's still behaves like this but, in the past,
I found that instrumenting lots and lots of pid probes would
be much faster is the application was itself stopped during
that instrumentation. I never got to the root of this issue
or even if it was real or perceived slowdown (in my case).

-r