List:       opensolaris-driver-discuss
Subject:    Re: [driver-discuss] Opensolaris has crashed
From:       Nathan Kroenert <nathan () tuneunix ! com>
Date:       2009-12-06 6:23:50

And - It's worth spending the time to distinguish between a crash, and a
hang, and going really really slowly. :)

As part of your efforts, you should boot with a -k appended to your
kernel line to boot the kmdb debugger, run up whatever it is that causes
the problem, then on the console (possibly blind, if you are using X
Graphics), do an
   F1-A <enter>
   $<systemdump <enter>

and let it dump. This will generate a crash dump that could be very
useful. Fire up the Solaris Crash Analysis Tool (Solaris CAT, or just
scat) on it and take a look at what's happening.

Things like looking at the messages, which threads ran, how many threads
ran in the last tick, second etc, and things like the memory usage will
all be useful. The online help should be enough to get most of these
things. (start scat and type help)

I'm assuming scat works on OpenSolaris... Hm. Have never tried that.

If not, use mdb and get some hair on your chest. ;)

Cheers!

Nathan.